The goal of this program is to prepare students to tackle Journalism related problems in the media industry, Public Relations, and advertising industry using digital tools to reciprocate today’s digital communication demands.
- Television News Reporter
- Radio News Reporter
- Print Media Reporter
- Communications Officer
- Media Entrepreneur
Goal of the Program
- To equip students with skills that help them to create and design emerging media products, including blogs, digital audio, digital video, social media, digital photography, and multimedia.
- To produce students who can produce informative, educative and entertaining media content that adds value to the masses.
- To produce students who can conduct public relations campaigns for organizations.
- To produce students who can conduct research and develop communication solutions.
Duration of the Programme
Four (4) Academic Years- Eight (8) semesters
- KCSE certificate with a minimum aggregate of C+ (Plus) with a minimum of C+ (Plus) in English or Kiswahili or its equivalent.
- Holder of a relevant diploma that is recognised by the University Senate.
- Be a holder of a Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) certificate with a minimum of two principal passes and one subsidiary pass.
- Any other qualification as approved by Senate.
- Produce media content that can be disseminated and add value to the masses.
- Create advertisements for various media platforms.
- Conduct public relations campaigns for the organization.
- Research and develop communication solutions.
CURRICULUM SETUP FOR BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN MEDIA AND DIGITAL COMMUNICATION (DIGITAL JOURNALISM)
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 1
- BCU 100 Communication Skills
- BCU 101 Introduction To Computer Studies and Internet
- BCU 102 Health And Wellness Management
- BJO 110 INTRODUCTION TO MASS COMMUNICATION
- BJO 111 ENGLISH FOR JOURNALISTS
- BJO 112 MEDIA AND SOCIETY
YEAR 1 SEMESTER 2
- BBM 121 Principles Of Management
- BJO 120 KISWAHILI KWA WANAHABARI
- BJO 123 CULTURE AND COMMUNICATION
- BJO 124 PHOTOGRAPHY AND PHOTOJOURNALISM
- BPR 121 GLOBAL COMMUNICATION
- DEV 121 Development Studies And Ethics
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 1
- BJO 210 FUNDAMENTALS OF WEB ANALYTICS
- BJO 211 DIGITAL MEDIA ETHICS, LAW, AND HUMAN RIGHTS
- BJO 212 ONLINE RESOURCES FOR COMMUNICATION
- BJO 213 INTERACTIVE MEDIA DESIGN
- BPSY 216 PSYCHOLOGY OF COMMUNICATION
- ERE 111 Introduction to creative and critical thinking
YEAR 2 SEMESTER 2
- BAV 223 FUNDAMENTALS OF ADVERTISING
- BJO 222 BROADCAST JOURNALISM
- BJO 224 COMMUNICATION THEORIES
- BJO 225 GENDER ISSUES IN COMMUNICATION
- BPR 220 FUNDAMENTALS OF PUBLIC RELATIONS
- BPR 221 WRITING FOR PRINT MEDIA
YEAR 3 SEMESTER 1
- BJO 310 COMMUNICATION RESEARCH
- BJO 311 VIDEO PRODUCTION AND EDITING
- BJO 312 AUDIENCE ANALYSIS
- BJO 313 MOBILE JOURNALISM
- BJO 314 MEDIA INTERVIEWING SKILLS
- BJO 315 DIGITAL STORYTELLING
YEAR 3 SEMESTER 2
- BAV 321 DIGITAL MARKETING
- BCU 320 Research Methods
- BJO 320 DIGITAL INNOVATION FOR INTEGRATED MEDIA
- BJO 321 NEWS AND FACT-CHECKING
- BJO 322 ELECTRONIC NEWS GATHERING AND REPORTING
- BJO 323 DIGITAL GRAPHICS AND COMMUNICATION
YEAR 4 SEMESTER 1
- BCU 410 Entrepreneurship and Innovation
- BJO 410 DOCUMENTARY PRODUCTION
- BJO 411 STUDIO TECHNICAL OPERATIONS
- BJO 412 AUDIOGRAPHY AND PODCASTING
- BPR 410 MONITORING AND EVALUATION OF COMMUNICATION PRACTICES
- BPR 411 STRATEGIC COMMUNICATION
YEAR 4 SEMESTER 2
CORE UNITS / COURSES
- BJO 420 DIGITAL SECURITY FOR JOURNALISTS
- BJO 421 DIGITAL JOURNALISM ETHICS
- BJO 422 INVESTIGATIVE JOURNALISM
- BJO 423 DATA JOURNALISM
- BMD 420 MEDIA PROJECT
- BMD 421 INDUSTRIAL ATTACHMENT
- BPR 420 INTERPRETATION, TRANSLATION, AND COMMUNICATION